Monday, May 11, 2009

Lisa and I Meet the Bees!



This past lovely Saturday, Lisa invited me to join her to check on her new beehive that she had installed a couple of weeks before, and to check on Joe's older hive, that needed a spring inspection. I had taken a beginning beekeeping class recently, but had no "hands on" experience, so I was eager to go take a look. I borrowed Joe's gloves, helmet and face net, and put on my bike rain suit and wading boots to minimize sting potential.

We opened her hive, and the bees seemed happy and busy. I was surprised to find that it was a no fear, all fascination experience for me. What an opportunity! I had thought for years about learning about beekeeping, but the idea of figuring it all out myself was daunting. To be able to learn with other knowledgeable folks is a great gift of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment